Monday, January 17, 2011

Semi Retraction

Re: my previous post I have also learnt throughout my week’s experience here that to be Israeli you also have to care a lot about your fellow Man (gender non-specific). You have to stand to let the elderly sit, you have to offer people you don’t even know lifts if they are standing in the cold, and most of all you have to make sure people are not only fed, but bloated and crying from internal bleeding from exploding intestines. This past Shabbat I was stuffed like a thanks giving turkey while staying at a family I adore. The experience as a whole affirmed the idea that Israel can be home.

In a small Israeli town called Tzofim, next to a bigger Arab town named Kalkilia (cheap oranges) I was introduced to the community as ‘the guy who moved to Israel’ to which people responded which varying degrees of surprise, shock and interest which obviously reflected their experience of Israel to date.

From one of the Bnei Akiva youth it was “Why? Because I want a reason to stay” from a middle aged man pushing a pram it was “why?! I came back from a trip to America wishing I was still there” and from an older man who had made aliyah 20 odd years ago it was “Why? I know why I came, I hope you know, because you’ll need those reasons to get you through the tough times”.

But at the end of the day I could feel that they all know why they were there, they look around an get a feeling of belonging that runs deeper than mere familiarity. Israel sends vibrations to their core which make them quiver and shake when they think about their relationship with the country, it’s both positive and negative.

I’m starting to feel it, but it could just be a bowel movement..

Shavua Tov!
(Pleasant Week)

About Me

Jerusalem, Israel
A Sydney born yid whose youth movement involvment led him to take the plunge and make Aliyah (migrate to Israel). Has a keen intrest in biblical exegesis and dancing like no one's watching