Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Civilian T's to that Olive Green

I’ve liberated myself from the constraints of my luscious locks and am ready to trade in my civilian T’s for that olive green.

That olive green. The colour that inspires, and allows that blue and white to stay bright.

When I was in Australia I said, “Wherever I walk, I walk toward Israel”. When I got to Israel, I said “Wherever I stand, I sand in Israel”. Now, in my final hours of freedom I say “From tomorrow, wherever I stand, I stand for Israel”.

After my service I’ll say: “Shit, I gotta get a job.”

Friends who wished they had one last chance to run their fingers through my hair, or have one last beer with me ask me how I feel about it all. I thought I’d share it with you.

Firstly, joining the army, for me, is neither the realisation of political or religious agenda. It is a part of the reality in which I live. If a country is under threat, they need a defence force.

No idea why Australia has one.[1]

This is not to say that I want to go to the front line and monitor borders, or have to decide if someone should live or die. I would be happy to be behind a desk and not have any contact with weapons at all. There is no doubt that there a need for those kind of soldier, but those who know me, know that I’m not that kind of guy.

There are some things I am nervous about, and other things that I’m excited about.

Communal showers for example.

I’m no exhibitionist. I’d prefer to wash myself without being bathed by someone else’s gaze.

One thing that excites me is the chance to meet people from all walks of life who I would not have spoken to because of the city they come from or any number of reasons.

As much as Israel has abandoned the kur khitukh (‘melting pot’) model and has embraced integration over assimilation, there are certainly still elements of ‘becoming one of the flock’ when you pass under the shepherd hook of the I.D.F. It is an integral experience in being an Israeli.

No doubt it will be an eventful period of my life.

Stay tuned for stories.

Sgt. Jorje

"I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier. I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

About Me

Jerusalem, Israel
A Sydney born yid whose youth movement involvment led him to take the plunge and make Aliyah (migrate to Israel). Has a keen intrest in biblical exegesis and dancing like no one's watching